For five years, I co-produced and hosted the Media Mornings current affairs hour weekly on Vancouver Co-operative Radio (CFRO 100.5 FM).
My guests included Atom Egoyan, Bruce Cockburn, Buffy Sainte-Marie, Joy Kogawa, Bob Rae, David Suzuki, Jody Wilson-Raybould and Thomas King.
I also produced and edited a syndicated weekly cross-Canada podcast, Democracy North.
These volunteer roles involved booking and interviewing guests, writing and presenting morning news headlines including local and world news, and editing audio clips to broadcast during live shows and for the weekly podcast.
Interview guests included:
- Award-winning artists and authors such as: Atom Egoyan, Bruce Cockburn, Buffy Sainte-Marie, Lawrence Hill, Thomas King, Joy Kogawa, A Tribe Called Red, Propagandhi and Junot Diaz.
- Elected federal and provincial leaders, such as: Then-Liberal leaders Bob Rae and Stéphane Dion, B.C. Attorneys General Suzanne Anton and David Eby, federal Attorney General Jody Wilson-Raybould, Green Party leader Elizabeth May, federal Indigenous Relations minister Carolyn Bennett.
- High-profile commentators such as: broadcaster David Suzuki, children’s advocate Cindy Blackstock, philosopher John Ralston Saul, Omar Khadr lawyer Dennis Edney, Assembly of First Nations chief Shawn Atleo, Council of Canadians’ Maude Barlow, Canadian secret trial detainee Mohammed Mahjoub, Amnesty International Canada head Alex Neve.
- Renowned journalists such as: Ha’aretz columist Gideon Levy, The Independent columnist and author Robert Fisk, Globe and Mail investigative journalist & CBC Go Public founder Kathy Tomlinson, detained Al Jazeera bureau chief Mohamad Fahmy, Ottawa Citizen columnist Terry Glavin, Intercept & Al Jazeera reporter Murtaza Hussain, Toronto Star investigative editor Kevin Donovan, Georgia Straight editor Charlie Smith, Globe & Mail columnist Frances Bula, the Canadian Press national reporter Jim Bronskill.
My broadcast/audio samples:
This Week on Media Mornings (April 22, 2013): News headlines, plus guests veteran broadcaster David Suzuki, security certificate detainee Mohammad Mahjoub, Tsleil-Waututh First Nation’s Carleen Thomas, and Georgia Straight Editor Charlie Smith:
My responsibilities include:
- Producing 3-4 interview segments per broadcast, including selecting topics and contacting guests.
- Creating show scripts including audio clips, music, guest bios and interview questions.
- Selecting, editing and reading news headlines and integrating audio clips live on air.
- Hosting two weekly news hour broadcasts, both solo and occasionally with a co-host, and conducting interviews.
- Post-producing, editing in Audacity, and promoting via social media networks and website.
- Operating studio booth controls.