My experience in both podcasting and live radio:
I am currently co-hosting and helping produce a podcast series with Cited Media Productions for the B.C. Centre for Substance Use.
For five years, I co-produced and hosted the Media Mornings live weekly news hour on Vancouver Co-operative Radio (CFRO 100.5 FM).
I also produced and edited a syndicated weekly cross-Canada podcast, Democracy North.
My guests included Atom Egoyan, Buffy Sainte-Marie, Bruce Cockburn, John Ralston Saul, Cindy Blackstock, Thomas King, Joy Kogawa, John Ralston Saul, Bob Rae, David Suzuki and Jody Wilson-Raybould.
These roles involved booking and interviewing guests, writing and presenting morning news headlines including local and world news, gathering audio clips from news events and editing them and others submitted to broadcast during live shows.
Interview guests included:
- Award-winning artists and authors such as: Atom Egoyan, Bruce Cockburn, Buffy Sainte-Marie, Lawrence Hill, Thomas King, Joy Kogawa, A Tribe Called Red, Propagandhi and Junot Diaz.
- Elected federal and provincial leaders, such as: Then-Liberal leaders Bob Rae and Stéphane Dion, B.C. Attorneys General Suzanne Anton and David Eby, BC Liberal MLA and ex-mayor Sam Sullivan, federal Attorney General Jody Wilson-Raybould, Green Party leader Elizabeth May, federal Indigenous Relations minister Carolyn Bennett.
- High-profile commentators such as: children’s advocate Cindy Blackstock, broadcaster David Suzuki, philosopher John Ralston Saul, Omar Khadr lawyer Dennis Edney, Amnesty International Canada head Alex Neve, Assembly of First Nations chief Shawn Atleo, Council of Canadians’ Maude Barlow, Canadian secret trial detainee Mohammed Mahjoub.
- Renowned journalists such as: Gideon Levy (Ha’aretz, Israel), Robert Fisk (The Independent, UK), Kathy Tomlinson (Globe and Mail), Mohamad Fahmy (Al Jazeera), Terry Glavin (Ottawa Citizen), Jim Bronskill (Canadian Press), Murtaza Hussain (Intercept & Al Jazeera), Kevin Donovan (Toronto Star), and Frances Bula (Globe & Mail).
My broadcast/audio samples:
This Week on Media Mornings (April 22, 2013): News headlines, plus guests veteran broadcaster David Suzuki, security certificate detainee Mohammad Mahjoub, Tsleil-Waututh First Nation’s Carleen Thomas, and Georgia Straight Editor Charlie Smith:
My responsibilities include:
- Producing 3-4 interview segments per broadcast, including selecting topics and contacting guests.
- Creating show scripts including audio clips, music, guest bios and interview questions.
- Selecting, editing and reading news headlines and integrating audio clips live on air.
- Hosting two weekly news hour broadcasts, both solo and occasionally with a co-host, and conducting interviews.
- Post-producing, editing in Audacity, and promoting via social media networks and website.
- Operating studio booth controls during live broadcasts, and resolving any technical issues seamlessly.